Church of San Rocco – Vattaro
Lying in the old-town of Vattaro, the chapel was built by will of the Bortolazzis on the place, where anciently another church was. AS a matter of fact, during the 1987-89 restoration countless marks of the preexisting church were found, dating back to 1585.
To the central octagonal part converge two arches, the vestibule and the rectangular rib vaulted apse; three windows on the front and on the sides let the light enlighten the inside.
Decorated niches containing the statues of Saint Francis, the Sacred Heart, Saint Claire and Our Lady of the Rosary are located at the sides of the chapel and a wooden altar with an altarpiece representing “Madonna and the Child with Saint Roch and Sebastian” welcomes its visitors. Over the altar you can admire the coat of arms of the Bortolazzis.
In 1955, the Municipality of Vattaro commissioned the artist Marco Bertoldi a fresco representing Saint Martin on his horse to decorate the central part of the vault.
The bell tower, instead, dates back to 1956.